Thursday, April 15, 2010

On Hair Styles

My main philosophy on hair is that it's just hair. It can be cut. It can grow out. So if a teenager/twentysomething wants to do something crazy with their hair, why not? It's not permanent. That being said, I do have a few thoughts on hair.

Mullets are never a good idea. Never. Never, never, never. Not if you are a woman. Not if you are a man. Not if you are a gym teacher—I had two female gym teachers who had mullets. Still not a good idea.

Product is your friend. Just enough product to help your hair. Mine, sadly, is pretty much impervious to any product and will still do what it wants by the end of the day, but I keep trying.

Unless your mom is a stylist, it's going to look like your mother cut your hair.

Unless you are shaving your head, don't cut your own hair.

If you have the same hairstyle you had in high school, it's probably time for a change. Except me though. My hair has pretty much always been an a-line or bobbed, and I dumped the big bangs a long time ago. But the rest of you, it makes you look dated, and older. And like you work at Wal-Mart.

Personally, I prefer shorter, styled hair for boys and men. I get that the shaggy, just rolled out of bed look is in. And I do understand the appeal. I mean, you don't even need to comb it. This is my brother Ryan.

He gets his hair cut once a year or so. But when you are, I don't know, say 25 and you are trying to get a professional job, that look might just not cut it. And people might mistake you for a homeless guy. Or Jesus.

And colorful streaks in your hair? Sure, when you're a teen. But if you are 40+ and you have bright pink streaks in your hair, you are not fooling anyone honey. It doesn't make you look younger, it makes you look desperate.

Little girls should have hair cuts that make them look like little girls, not little Barbie dolls. H and I have matching haircuts. On me, it looks like an adult cut. On her, it looks like a little girl cut. Gotta love the a-line. Little girls don't need haircuts requiring tons of product and tons of time to get them ready in the morning, making them look like a mini adult. If you want to take tons of time and have pretty braids and bows and whatnot, that's up to you. That's adorable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment